Punjabi Kheer Puda | Kheer with Malpua | Kheer Poora
Kheer Puda is a sweet dish. Authentically this belongs to Punjabi Cuisine. Kheer puda is a monsoon special recipe of Punjab.
This is a combination of two sweet dishes i.e. kheer and puda. Kheer is made from rice (rice pudding) and this is served with sweet puda or pooda or poora.
Many people make malpua from maida or refined flour. But this is also made with whole wheat flour. We make pua or malpua with wheat flour.
I have made this puda with sugar syrup. But to make this healthy, add jaggery powder to pua. Soak jaggery in a cup of water for 1 hr to dissolve it. Then add that water to wheat flour and make batter for puda.
Normally I make both as individual desserts. But the idea of kheer puda came from Chef Sanjyot Keer’s Kheer puda recipe.
The speciality of this puda is addition of fennel seeds (saunf) and black pepper seeds (kaali mirch) to the sweet wheat flour batter.
How to make kheer puda?
Preparing Kheer (Rice Pudding)
Clean and wash rice properly. Soak it in water for 1 hour.
Transfer soaked rice to a pressure cooker. Add in 1 ltr milk. Bring it to a boil.
Close lid of cooker. simmer on slow flame for 20 minutes. Make sure not to whistle.
Open lid once pressure released. Simmer for some more time till milk reduced half.
Mash lightly with help of ladle or spoon. Add chopped dry fruits.
Now add condensed milk. Stir well and simmer for 5 minutes more.
Since condensed milk is sweet no need to add extra sugar to the kheer.
Kheer or rice pudding is ready. Keep in refrigerator to cool.
Preparing Puda/ Poora/ Pura/ Pua
In a mixing bowl add wheat flour, semolina flour, fennel seeds, black pepper seeds.Mix them well.
In a bowl heat water and add sugar and boil till sugar dissolves. Add saffron strands or edible food color (optional). Keep aside to cool.
Pour in sugar syrup in flour mix slowly and gradually stirring nicely. Make sure no lumps left.
Make batter of smooth consistency. Don’t make it very thin as we need little thicker crepes.
Heat ghee in a pan. Put 1 spoon batter on it. repeat for other puda.
Flip to other side when one side is cooked. repeat for all puda.
Puda is ready. Serve puda with chilled kheer. Garnish with extra dry fruits.
This is such a great combination just like rabdi jalebi. I loved these puda. You can serve them as single desserts also. But together it tastes awesome.
Recipe Card for Kheer Puda
Kheer Puda/ Kheer Poora/ Kheer Pua
For Kheer (Rice Pudding)
- 100 gm rice
- 1.5 ltr full cream milk
- 200 gm condensed milk
- 8 – 10 almonds
- 8 – 10 cashews
- 15 – 20 raisins
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
For Puda (Sweet mini crepes)
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1/4 cup semolina
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 10 – 12 black pepper seeds
- 8 – 10 tbsp sugar (as per taste)
- 1 tsp saffron food color
- 6 – 8 tbsp ghee
Preparing Kheer ( Rice Pudding)
- Was and clean rice properly. Soak in water for 1hr.
- Trasfer rice to pressure cooker and add in milk.
- Simmer on low flame for 20 minutes. Don’t let the cooker whistle.
- Open lid when pressure is released.
- Roughly mash rice.
- Add dry fruits and condensed milk.
- Simmer for 5 minutes more or till it’s little thick in consistency.
- Turn off gas and transfer to a clean vessel. Keep in refrigerator to cool.
- In a bowl mix wheat flour, semolina, fennel seeds, black pepper. Mix well.
- Heat water in a sauce pan. add sugar and simmer till sugar dissolves. Add food color or saffron.
- Cool the sugar syrup to room temperature.
- Pour in sugar syrup to flour mix. Stir well.
- Make sure it’s lumps free. Add water if required. Make a smooth flowing consistency batter.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan.
- Put one tbsp batter on it. spread lightly with spoon.
- In one batch make 3 to 4 mini crepes.
- Flip to both side and shallow fry till its light golden.
- Remove from heat once done on both sides. Repeat for all puda.
Serving Kheer Puda
- Garnish kheer and puda with extra dry fruits and serve together.
PIN IT FOR LATER
Read similar pudding recipes here:
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my face book page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.