Uttapam is one popular south Indian dish. This is similar to dosa and normally made with same batter that we use to make idli and dosa. In onion uttapam we use onions, tomatoes, coriander leaves and green chillies.
This is easy and delicious breakfast recipe. In Mumbai, it’s one of the popular street food just like dosa, idli, vada.
I love South Indian dishes also. I remember my Dad was also a great fan of South Indian Cuisine. So since childhood we are more inclined towards this cuisine. Though it’s originated in South India, This is equally loved in all parts of our country.
These items like dosa, idli, vada, uttapam are always in my sunday breakfast menu. Though I love to make them at home, but whenever I feel lazy to make them I trust on our road side Anna’s Idli Vada and dosa.
Uttapam is similar to dosa but it’s little thicker than dosa. Apart from lentils and rice mixture, you can use semolina and curd to make batter.
In market also you will get readymade batter for dosa and idli. You may use that batter. Incase you want to make it instantly then make the same with semolina and curd batter. But in that case you need to rest it for 20 – 30 minutes.
When I make uttapam for kid’s lunchbox, I do make semolina mixture overnight and store it. When required in morning take out batter and make uttapam or dosa. Read my mini rava dosa for kid’s tiffin box recipe.
Recipe Card for Onion Uttapam
Onion Uttapam | South Indian Breakfast Recipe
- 2 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato finely chopped
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- 2 tsp garam masala
- Soak dal and rice in separate bowls.
- Now blend them to smooth paste separately.
- Mix both completely and add salt.
- Cover and keep on warm place for 4 -6 hrs for fermentation.
- Take out fermented batter.
- Heat one dosa tawa and grease it with little oil.
- Don’t over heat the tawa as it will be difficult to give batter proper shape.
- Put one spoonful of batter on hot tawa.
- Quickly spread the batter to medium thick circle.
- Now sprinkle some garam masala on top of it.
- Then quickly add chopped onions, tomatoes,green chillies, coriander leaves on top of batter on tawa.
- Press them lightly with a spatula so that it will stick to the batter. Keep it on low to medium flame.
- Then sprinkle some more garam masala on top of it.
- When done it leaves sides. Now flip to other side lightly.
- Drizzle few drops of oil from sides.
- After 2 minutes remove from heat and serve with chutney ou sambar.
PIN IT FOR LATER
If you are looking for some healthy breakfast options, please read similar recipes like upma, vegetable upma, pinwheel samosa, aloo pyaz poha, aloo matar poha, gobi paratha, aloo paratha, aloo kachori, bread roll, spinach corn sandwich, cheesy potato sandwich, masala dosa sambar, sattu porridge , tomato omelette, whole wheat dosa, atte ka chila, etc on blog.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my face book page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.