Onion Potato Poha | Kanda Batata Poha | Easy Breakfast Recipe
Poha is one of the healthiest breakfast dish. This dish is popularly known as kanda poha (onion poha). Originally this is a popular maharashtrian food item. However this is equally loved in other parts as well. This is made from flattened rice known as poha. This onion potato poha or kanda batata poha is similar to the authentic kanda poha except for the potatoes I love to add. Adding potatoes makes the breakfast more filling. This makes an wonderful kid’s tiffin recipe as well.
I add potatoes and green peas to my poha. Fried peanuts are also important ingredient of poha. You can add grated coconut. However I don’t like coconut on poha so i have not added it. Rather I like to sprinkle some bhujia sev or finely chopped tomato and onion on top of it. Well this is called as kanda poha because onion or kanda is the main ingredient in this recipe.
This onion and potato poha is excellent breakfast or tiffin box recipe for kids because poha is high in carbohydrate. So it helps in creating energy for our super-active kids. Also poha is easily absorbed and easily digestible. So it keeps tummy happy and full for longer.
If you are looking for easy and healthy breakfast recipes, read spinach corn sandwich, cheesy potato sandwich, vermicelli or semiya pulao, vegetable upma, aloo matar poha, masala dosa, bread roll, aloo paratha, aloo kachori, gobi paratha, veg mughlai paratha recipe on blog.
Tips to prepare perfect onion and potato poha / kanda batata poha
1. Poha is one of the simplest recipe. It doesn’t require much preparation and hard work. Only thing you need to do is wash poha and leave it on a colander or stariner for 5 minutes. This will soften the poha flakes.
2. But don’t soak in water. Just wash it off and spread on a dry plate or colander or strainer.
3. If you will soak it in water, then it will be moist with excess water while cooking. in such case dish will be mushy and this will spoil the taste of it. Poha should be fluffy and soft.
4. If you feel it’s not wet enough (and soft) and little stiff, sprinkle some more water and keep aside for 2 – 3 minutes before adding anything.
5. I shallow fry peanuts first and then remove them from oil and add in the end. I do this because, by the time potatoes gets cooked, peanuts will be burnt and will not taste good.
6. Another thing I do, After adding mustard seeds I add chopped potatoes and cook on low flame for 5 minutes or till it’s cooked. Then I add onion and saute. Else by the time potatoes get cooked, my onion turns brown and I don’t like that burnt onions in my poha. Otherwise you can use boiled potato cubes for this recipe.
7. Add lemon juice for better taste. I like this which finely chopped onion and tomatoes on top of it. garnish with handful of coriander leaves.
Recipe Card for Kanda Batata Poha
Onion & Potato Poha
- Poha / Flattened Rice - 1 Cup
- Refined Oil - 4-5 tbsp
- Peanuts – 1 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds- ¼ tsp
- Onion- ½ sliced
- Potato – 1 diced
- Curry Leaves- 6-7
- Green Chilli- 1 -2
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Salt- ¼ tsp or as per taste
- Lemon juice 2 tbsp
- Take 1 cup of poha and wash it properly and keep it aside to dry for some time. Then add salt as per taste to the washed poha and mix gently.
- Put a kadai on gas top & put 3 - 4 table spoon refined oil. Fry the peanuts and remove them once reddish brown. But take care not to overdo as they will give burnt taste.
- Add 2 Tbsp oil to it. Once the oil is hot put mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- After that put curry leaf, green chilli and onion into it. Add diced potato and cover with lid. Keep on low flame.
- Once potatoes are properly cooked, add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and mix well. After that add soaked and washed poha into it.
- In the end add fried peanuts, coriander leaves and one/ two table spoon of lemon juice in it.
- Sprinkle 5-6 drops of water and place the lid on kadai.
- Then after 1min remove the pot from gas stove. Now poha is ready to serve.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my face book page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.
PIN IT FOR LATER