Nutty Lemon Rice is an easy fried rice recipe and I love this because this is kids friendly. So no worry for tiffin box of my kid.
This rice contains lots of crunchy bites of nuts and tangy flavour of lemon makes the dish superb that kids also enjoy. If you are making for adults you can add some more chillies and make it even more spicy as per your taste.
This rice is made in South Indian Style. This is super simple and super easy to make. You can use your leftover rice for this recipe to give them a nice twist.
If you are making from fresh rice, then 2 things I do to get better non-sticky rice. First I never overcook the rice for such recipe. Like it should be just done (cook al dente)and immediately strain out liquid. Second thing I always do is rinse them in a colander under tap water. This stops over-cooking of rice in it’s own heat.
If possible add a tsp oil and just mix it lightly. But that is optional. Many a times I don’t add any oil while cooking and after that also. But the rice comes out very nice and I just love that non-sticky ones for any dish.
There is another reason behind this. While cooking rice, the water gets all starch from it. So when we remove water after it’s cooked, the excess starch is washed off. At the same time if we cook rice in pressure cooker, all starch will again absorbed by rice itself during the process. So the rice becomes starchy and will cause more weight gain.
However you can use any variety of rice for this dish.
So if you are planning to make such dish for tiffin box, I would suggest please make rice in night so as to save time in morning.
If you are looking for some easy rice recipes, please check on blog:
How to make Nutty Lemon Rice?
Make rice first and rinse it with tap water once on a colander.
Heat 4 tbsp oil in a pan.
Fry peanuts till little brownish. Don’t over fry else it will taste as burnt.
Remove from oil once done.
Similarly fry cashew nuts as well. (I missed adding cashews)
In the same pan add 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 10-15 curry leaves, 1 tsp minced ginger, 1 tsp green chillies. Saute for a second.
Then add sliced onions and saute till translucent.
Now add in fried nuts, turmeric powder, chilli powder (optional).
Now add rice to the pan and mix gently.
Add salt, lemon juice and lots of freshly chopped coriander leaves.
Lemon rice is ready. Serve hot with any raita or curd.
Recipe Card for Nutty Lemon Rice
Nutty Lemon Rice
- 4 cup cooked rice (1.5 cups uncooked rice)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 15 curry leaves
- 3 green chillies cut into slits
- 1 tsp ginger finely minced
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup peanuts or a fistful
- 2 lemons or 4 tbsp lemon juice
- fistful of coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp hing or asafoetida
- Make rice first. Strain with help of a colander then wash it once with regular water to stop excess cooking.
- Heat oil in a pan. Shallow fry peanuts and cashew nuts. Remove once they turn light brown.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let them crackle first
- Add minced ginger, green chillies.
- In 5 – 6 seconds, add sliced onions and curry leaves. Saute till translucent.
- Then add turmeric powder and saute for a minute.
- Now add in cooked rice, fried nuts, salt and lemon juice.
- Give it a gentle nice stir.
- Cover with a lid and keep on low heat for about a minute.
- Turn off heat and add a fistful of freshly chopped coriander leaves.
PIN IT FOR LATER
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my face book page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.