Matar Paneer Curry
Matar paneer curry is a delicious dish made with combination of green peas and soft paneer, cooked in onion and tomato based gravy. This is a classic North Indian Cuisine. This is one common dish we make at home for any special occasions or get together. Matar Paneer is an easy to cook recipe. If you love such recipes, read my other posts like paneer tikka masala, sarson ka saag, palak paneer, gatte ki sabzi, dum aloo, palak paneer kofta curry, lauki kofta curry, malai kofta curry.
How to make matar paneer
While preparing this recipe I have mixed the curry paste with whole spices for additional flavors. With this curry paste, it took only 15 minutes to prepare this dish. Check the recipe of curry paste here!
The only task to do is heat the required amount of stored paste and add water. Add whole spices to 1 tsp oil before adding the paste. Give it a boil. In the meanwhile, boil green peas till they are soft. Or you can directly simmer & cook the peas in gravy. Add paneer and cook for another 3 – 4 minutes till it soaks all aromatic flavors of spices.
Matar Paneer without ready curry paste
If you don’t have the ready curry paste then use fresh onion & tomato paste. Grind 2 medium onion, 2 tomatoes, 5 – 6 garlic pods, 1tbsp chopped or crushed ginger. Also add 1-2 green chilli, 2 cloves, 2 cardamom, 1/2 inch cinnamon stick, 4 – 5 black pepper to the mixer along with onion and grind them together.
You can make this matar paneer curry rich by adding cashew and almond paste to the gravy. I have marinated paneer in spiced curd for 10 minutes which is optional. You can add paneer directly to the gravy. After the onion and other spice gets cooked completely, add beaten curd and mix well. Add 1/2 cup water and let it simmer for some time before adding paneer into it.
You can shallow fry the paneer cubes. Another tip to make paneer soft, soak them in hot water for 10 – 15 minutes.
I have one more important tip friends which I have learnt from experience. I have once cooked paneer for 15 minutes (after adding to gravy). It turned out as chewy and hard. So the lesson learned is don’t over cook paneer as they will be hard and chewy by this and will spoil the whole preparation.
Matar Paneer / Green Peas & Paneer Curry
- 250 gm Paneer / Cottage Cheese
- 1/2 cup Green Peas par boiled/ blanched
- 2 Onion
- 2 Tomatoes Pureed
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Finely Chopped/ Minced
- 4 - 5 tbsp Ghee/ Refined oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- Green Chilli – 3 finely chopped
- Salt as per taste
- 1 Bay Leaf (Tejpatta)
- 4 Cloves
- 4 Cardamom
- 1/2 Cinnamon stick
- 4 - 5 Black pepper
- 4 tbsp Curd
- If you are not using ready to use curry paste (refer the above link) then prepare a fine paste of onion, ginger garlic paste, green chillies. Add whole spices ( cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper) while grinding the paste)
- Boil the green peas in a pan for 5 minutes or till peas are soft. Cut paneer into cubes of equal size.
- Take a mixing bowl. Put 3 - 4 tbsp curd. Add coriander powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, pinch of salt and mix well. Now add the paneer cubes and marinate for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai. Add bay leaf. Add onion paste and sauté till onions cooked brown and leaves oil on surface. Add all dry spices (coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala) to the pan and sauté for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and sauté for 2 minutes till its cooked. Then add boiled green peas and fried paneer / cottage cheese cubes to the gravy.
- Add ½ - ¾ cup of water to it and mix well. Season with salt. Keep it on high flame. Let it simmer for 5 mins.
- Matar Paneer is ready to be served. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with paratha, chapatti, rice etc.