Dosa is indigenous to South India. But it’s one of the most loved food in all parts of our country. In Mumbai, you will find dosa as one of the common and best street food item. This is loved as much as that of golgappa or panipuri as a street food. This is one of the best breakfast item. It’s filling and also good food option for kids and toddlers. Even you can make them for your kid’s tiffin box. You can make plain dosa or masala dosa based on kid’s choice. If your family loves this recipe, you can actually make for 2 – 3 days together and store in freeze. Whenever you feel like having this, make it instantly.
These crepes are made from fermented batter of rice and black gram lentils (Udad Dal). For this recipe we use dhuli udad which is white. We need to soak rice and udad dal over night for this crepe.
The ratio of rice to lentil is 3:1. How ever I prefer slight more of lentils so that it’s more fluffy and gives better taste. I do take 3 parts rice and 1.25 parts of lentils. Also if you like to make it crispy like street side dosa, make mixture of lentils as:
Black gram (urad dal) – 1 cup + chana dal – 1/4 cup + fenugreek seeds (methi) – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves, ginger garlic, mustard seeds, tamarind paste, red chillies/ powder, sambar masala are the dominating spices in this dish.
If you are a beginner, it’s not very easy to make dosa. But with practice nothing is difficult. So in beginning take care of few things.
Lets make masala dosa at home.
Masala Dosa & Sambar
- Urad Dal – 1/3rd Cup
- Rice – 1Cup
- Refined Oil – 8-10 Tbsp
- Garam Masala- 2 tsp
- Salt- ¼ tea spoon or as per taste
For Stuffing Masala
- Potato- 2 Boiled Peeled & Mashed
- Onion- ½ sliced
- Curry– 5-6 leaves chopped
- Green Chilli – 1 – 2 finely chopped
- Turmeric – ¼ tea spoon
- Salt as per taste
- Garam Masala – ¼ tea spoon
- Cumin Seeds – 1 pinch
- Mustard Seeds – 1pinch
- Garlic - 3 -4 crushed
- Toor Daal – 1 cup
- Drumstick – 1 diced
- Brinjal – 1 diced
- Pumpkin – 1cup diced
- Tomato – 1 diced
- Tamarind paste 20gms (lemon size ball)
- Curry Leaves – 7-10
- Garlic – 6-7 buds chopped/ crushed
- Ginger – 1finely chopped
- Green Chilli- 2 chopped
- Mustard Seeds- ½ Tea spoon
- Cumin Seeds- ½ Tea spoon
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ Tea spoon
- Sambar Masala – 1 Table spoon
- Turmeric Powder – ½ Tea spoon
- Salt as per taste
- Take split urad dal without skin and rice and soak overnight for 8 hours. Make sure to soak them separately as both require different consistency while grinding.
- Grind both the ingredients separately with minimal required water else the mixture will not be as smooth as required for batter. After grinding separately mix them properly in a larger mixing bowl.
- Mix water to make the batter to required thinner consistency. Consistency should neither be thick nor be very thin as it will be difficult for spreading on dosa pan.
- Add salt as per taste and mix thoroughly.
- Put a flat pan on heat. Keep on low flame. Put 1 teaspoon oil and one ladle batter above it and then spread it on evenly. If pan is very hot it will be difficult to spread batter evenly. Hence Keep a bowl of water along with and sprinkle few drops on pan and wipe it off with clean cloth to avoid excessive heating of dosa pan.
- Sprinkle some garam masala & few drops of butter on it.
- Once cooked the sides will automatically leave the pan. Then take it out on a plate.
Potato Masala for Stuffing in Dosa
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add a pinch of hing (asafoetida) to it. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let it splutter. Then add green chilli, ginger and garlic chopped, curry leaves.
- Add sliced onions and fry for 2-3 mins till it turns brown. Then add turmeric powder and salt as per taste. Add mashed potato and mix thoroughly and sauté for another 2-3 mins.
- Once done, remove from flame and keep aside to cool. Masala is ready to serve with Dosa.
Preparation of Sambar
- Pressure cook tur dal until cooked (3-4 whistle). You may add vegetables like brinjal, pumpkin, Drumsticks, tomato along with dal. Add only salt and turmeric powder to cook dal. You can also use leftover dal to make sambar
- In the meanwhile make tamarind paste by soaking it with water and squeeze the pulp into water and remove seeds if it has.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add one tea spoon of hing or asafoetida. Add one tea spoon of mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add curry leaves, crushed garlic and ginger. Then add sliced onions and green chillies. Fry it for 2 mins.
- After it’s cooked and turned light brown, add ½ tea spoon red chilli powder, 1/4th tea spoon turmeric powder and 1 table spoon Sambar. Then add tamarind paste and diced tomato into the pan and let it simmer for 1 – 2 min.
- Add cooked dal to it and boil for 3-4 mins. Add salt as per taste. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot masala dosa with sambar coconut chutney.