Pumpkin and Eggplant Curry in Mustard Gravy
This pumpkin and eggplant curry recipe is from my Granny’s Kitchen. This is made in mustard paste based gravy. This is one of the low carb recipe. I would say this is an Indian style pumpkin and eggplant curry for keto diet.
All ingredients used in this dish are low in carb and nutritious. This is a low fat recipe as well which is good for weight-loss diet. Pumpkin is a storehouse of many antioxidants and vitamin A, Vitamin C and Vitamin E. It contains no saturated fat or cholesterol. Pumpkins are used as sweet dish like Pumpkin Pie and also as savoury dish like pumpkin soup, and in curry dishes.
Is this recipe keto diet friendly?
“Can I eat pumpkin on keto diet?”
And the answer is “Yes”. But you need to control your portion size.
This is not starchy and high carb like potatoes and peas. Yes it has some carb and sugar content. But very less than other high carb, starchy veggies.
I would suggest you must read this article for more info on Pumpkin in Keto diet.
How to make pumpkin and eggplant curry in mustard gravy.
In this pumpkin and eggplant curry, I have used mustard paste as base of my gravy.
Mustards have a pungent and spicy taste. In our granny’s time I have seen them grinding mustards to a fine paste in a large mortar and pastels . This was time consuming but gives perfect result. Mustards if not taken care of during the process can turn the dish bitter in taste. So grinding them right and cooking right is the key to a perfect dish.
In order to avoid this bitterness, soak the mustard seeds for 20 – 30 minutes in water. I have soaked 4 tbsp mustard seeds and 2 tbsp cumin seeds, red chillies together for 20 minutes. Then grind this to a paste. While cooking remember not to cook it for long time. For better taste use mustard oil for cooking.
I have taken black mustard seeds. You can add yellow and black mustard seeds together also.
Using onions is optional. If you are following keto diet, you may avoid adding onion. Rest all ingredients are keto-friendly including mustard seeds.
Also this dish tastes better with little sourness. So use tomatoes generously and also you can use tamarind or dry mango to increase the sourness. I have used dry mango powder.
If you are not following keto diet, for better taste add potatoes to the curry. Infact in such case only potatoes and eggplants will also do the magic. I have made one recently. I will update the link soon.
Low-Carb Pumpkin and Eggplant Curry in Mustard Based Gravy
- 3 - 4 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 200 gms Pumpkin Diced
- 250 gms Eggplant Diced
- 1 Drumstick Cut into 3" pieces
- 2 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 4 tbsp Mustard Seeds
- 3 Tomato Diced
- 8 Garlic - 3 -4 crushed Crushed
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- 4 Dried Red Chilli
- 1/2 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 2 1/2 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Tamarind paste
- 1 tsp Aamchur/ Dry mango powder (any one from tamarind paste or dry mango)
- 1 tbsp Salt
- Soak the mustard seeds and cumin seeds in water for 20 - 30 minutes. Remove from water and transfer to a grinder. Also add red chillies, half of the crushed garlic and tomatoes to the grinder. Grind them together to a fine paste. Add little water else the seeds will not turn fine paste.
- In a pan heat oil and add cumin seeds and let it crackle. Then add a pinch hing, rest crushed garlic, green chillies and saute. Then add onion and saute till onion is translucent.
- Add the spices ( Coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder). Saute for 10 seconds and then add chopped vegetables and mix well.
- Add salt and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 glass water and cover with a lid. Let it simmer and boil the vegetables till they are cooked. It will take 7 - 10 minutes
- Then open the lid and check with a spoon if vegetables are cooked. Add the mustard and tomato paste to the curry and mix well.Let it simmer for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Turn off the gas and add 1 tsp dry mango powder and stir well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my face book page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.