Low Carb Bottle Gourd Recipe/ Lauki Curry Indian Style
Bottle Gourd commonly known as Lauki or Dudhi in Hindi is a not-so-liked-food because of its watery n slight pungent taste. But you can’t ignore this super-food if you care for your body and health.
Lauki or Bottle gourd is a super food indeed because of many reasons.
This is rich in dietary fiber both soluble and insoluble and hence a great ingredient for weight-loss diet.
It consists of 96% water.
It helps in weight loss and keeps body cool during summers.
It’s low in saturated fat and cholesterol.
Because of high fiber content it’s helpful in treating constipation as well.
It increases lactation in mothers and hence given to new-moms post delivery of babies. But that’s in cooked form.
For faster weight-loss, drink bottle gourd juice in empty stomach. it works like magic in your weight loss plan. However its cooling properties might develop cough. So if you are prone to cold then don’t take raw lauki juice.
It tastes great in both savory dish (curry, fritters, dumplings, raita) as well as sweet dish (halwa/ pudding, kheer).
It can be combined with potatoes in curry or can be cooked as hero ingredient.
Try other bottle Gourd recipes also
Lets Try this version of cooked bottle gourd. Its easy to make. Making this curry takes hardly 15-20 minutes.
This is a keto friendly recipe. However in that case reduce or remove onion from your ingredients list as onions add carb to the dish as its high in sugar content. This is also diabetic friendly recipe.
Low-Carb Bottle Gourd Weight-loss Recipe
- Heat 4 - 5 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and let them crackle. Add a pinch of asafoetida powder, green chillies, garlic, ginger and saute for a minute.
- Add onion and saute till translucent. Add chopped tomatoes. Saute for 2 minutes. Then add all spices except dry mango and mix well.
- Add chopped bottle gourds or lauki to the cooker and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup water and close the lid of cooker and cook for 3 - 4 whistles. Turn off the gas and wait till cooker lid opens.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.