Lauki Launj | Lauki Halwa | Dudhi Halwa
Lauki halwa or dudhi halwa is a sweet dish. This is also a falahar food. For janmashtami vrat we make this lauki ki launj at home. You can make this dessert in 30 minutes.
In India many of us observe fasting on some religious occasions. Very few foods are allowed on these days. And lauki or bottle gourd is one of them. You can make lauki and aloo curry with vrat poori or with sama rice khichdi. Or simply you can add them while making samvat khichdi.
This is a sweet dessert we can make from lauki. Lauki halwa is a delicious and an easy to make dessert. You can make this on regular days also.
You can use milk or khoya or milk powder to make this dish. In this recipe I have reduced milk to make instant khoya. Then add dry fruits of your choice (almonds, cashews, pista, raisins)
How to Make Lauki Halwa / Lauki Launj?
Wash and peel skin of lauki or bottle gourd. Then grate it with help of a grater.
Heat 4 tbsp ghee in a pan. Add chopped dry fruits and saute for a minute. then remove from pan and keep aside.
In the same pan now add freshly grated lauki to the pan. Saute on high flame for 3 – 4 minutes.
Then cover with a lid and simmer on medium flame for 7 – 8 minutes. Keep stirring occasionally.
Next add milk and simmer till milk is reduced completely and turned to khoya.
Now add sugar and cardamom powder. Sugar will melt. simmer till its dry and then add fried dry fruits.
Lauki halwa is ready to serve. Refrigerate and chill for better taste. Garnish with some more chopped dry fruits and serve.
Recipe card for Lauki Halwa
Lauki Halwa/ Lauki Launj
- 4 tbsp Ghee/ Purified butter
- 1 Lauki/ bottle gourd (800gm – 1kg)
- 1/2 cup Sugar or as per taste
- 250gms Milk
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp Dry fruits chopped
- Peel skin of lauki and wash thoroughly.
- Grate lauki with help of a grater. No need to soak in water as we ll use fresh grated ones.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add chopped dry fruits and saute for 30 – 40 seconds.
- REmove from ghee and keep aside for further use.
- In the same pan add grated lauki.
- Saute on high flame for 3 – 5 minutes stirring in between.
- Then reduce the flame to medium to low and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook for another 8 – 10 minutes. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Once lauki is almost cooked, add milk.
- Simmer till milk is completely reduced and forms khoya like structure.
- Now add sugar and dry fruits.
- Sugar will melt. Simmer on high flame stirring continuously to avoid sticking at bottom.
- Once lauki is dry and leaves ghee turn off heat.
- Halwa is ready. Refrigerate for 1 or 2 hrs.
- Garnish with dry fruits and serve chilled lauki halwa.
- half milk + khoya
- 1 cup milk powder (for instant halwa)
PIN IT FOR LATER
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my face book page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.