Notice: Undefined index: HTTP_ACCEPT in /var/www/wp-content/plugins/gourmet-ad/Classes/GA_VAST_Mobile_Detect.php on line 18
Lauki Chana Dal
Lauki Chana Dal ki Sabzi or Bottle Gourd & Lentils Curry is a healthy dish. This is full of fiber and protein.
Bottle gourd is a high source of dietary fiber and lentils are one of the richest source of proteins. So you will get high fiber and high protein.
What a great combination if you are on your weight loss journey.
This dish is not restricted to any regional cuisine. Its made in north, south, east and west. Lauki chana though it’s not a much-loved recipe you can still add variations to make this tastier. Normally its made with chana dal or bengal gram lentils. Well, you can decide what consistency level you want in this dish.
Lentils have a special place in Indian cuisine. Its such a versatile item, it can be used in every dish you make. It can be used as appetizer, as dal, as curry as soup as flour batter for crepes, for fritters etc etc. They are count less actually.
Read my dal collections on blog.
One specialty of lentils is it’s always best to accompany to the staple food of regional cuisine. Okay, I’ll explain. In east India staple food is rice. So we have the best accompany Dal.
In north India staple food is roti. What’s the best combination you have heard of North? Isn’t it Dal Roti. (When I say dal roti, one song comes to my mind. Dal roti Khao Prabhu ke Gunn Gaao 🙂 )
In the south, it’s sambar rice. They are light but since high protein keeps you full for longer, they actually help in reducing appetite and craving for food.
I will write about Lentils & Oats Salad for the weight-loss recipe. Keep following my blog for updates.
If you like this recipe also read:
Let’s make this lauki chana ki sabzi.
Lauki Chana Dal
- 1 large size Lauki (600 - 800gms)
- 1 cup bengal gram soak them for 15 - 20 minutes
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 2 green chillies
- 4 garlic pods finely chopped or crushed
- 1/2 inch ginger crushed & minced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt or as per taste
- 3 tbsp oil preferably mustard oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 5 - 6 tbsp fresh coriander leaves finely chopped
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add a generous pinch of asafoetida or hing. Add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Add chopped ginger and garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Then add chopped onion and saute till translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook for 1 minute more. Add all dry spices and mix well. saute for 1 minute on medium flame.
- Add in chopped lauki and soaked lentils. Add in salt and mix well. Add 2 cup water to it and cook for 6 - 7 whistles. You can adjust water as per the thickness you want.
- Turn off gas and open when cooker is cool. Add garam masala and give it a good stir.
- Add lemon juice & chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with roti or rice.
PIN IT FOR LATER
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.