Kashmiri Dum Aloo
Kashmiri dum aloo is a delicious north Indian cuisine, prepared with curd and tomatoes. The red chilli powder or degi mirch gives the fabulous red color. If you can’t tolerate the heat then adjust the quantity of chilli paste as per your taste. Onion and garlic are not used authentic kashmiri dum aloo. If you are preparing in regular North Indian Style Dum Aloo, then you can add onion paste or ready to use curry paste for quick cooking. In this preparation I have used tomato puree and whisked curd to prepare the base gravy. To get more rich recipe use ghee or clarified butter. Some people add cashew paste. How ever this is a basic dish and doesn’t require more ingredients. It’s a no-onion no-garlic dish which is a perfect dish for fasting days. (just remove saunf or fennel powder and use rock salt if you are making this for fasting days)
This is one easy to cook dish and takes less than 15 minutes to prepare and is super tasty.
Kashmiri Dum Aloo
- 250 gm Baby potatoes boiled and peeled
- 200 gm Curd
- 1 Tomato Large size, pureed
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Corinader Powder
- 2 - 3 tsp Degi Mirch, Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 pinch Garam Masala
- Boil and peel the baby potatoes. don't over boil the potatoes. 1- 2 whistle would be enough to get perfect potatoes.
- Poke holes all around the potatoes using toothpick or skewers.
- Take 2 - 3 tsp red chilli powder and mix with 1/4 cup of water and mix well to prepare a red chilli paste.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Deep fry the potatoes and flip till you get golden brown skin all around. Once done remove from oil and keep on a tissue paper/ paper napkin.
- Remove extra oil from pan. Leave 3 - 4 tbsp oil for further process of preparing gravy.
- Add 1 tsp cumin seeds (Jeera) or caraway seeds (Shahjeera). Add hing. Then add the red chilli paste and stir continuously for 30 seconds.
- Then add tomato puree, fennel powder, coriander powder and mix well. cook for 2 minutes.
- Add beaten curd to the pan and mix well. Stir continuously till it starts boiling.
- Then add fried baby potatoes. Add salt and let it simmer for 3 - 4 minutes more till all flavors incorporated into potatoes. If required add 1 cup water. But these comes with thick gravy. so don't add much water. keep stirring in between.
- Let it simmer. After 5 minutes check the consistency. Turn off. add chopped coriander leaves and garam masala (optional). Serve hot with any kind of bread or rice.