Kashmiri Dum Aloo
Kashmiri dum aloo is a delicious north Indian cuisine, prepared with curd and tomatoes.
The red chilli powder or degi mirch gives the fabulous red color. If you can’t tolerate the heat then adjust the quantity of chilli paste as per your taste. Onion and garlic are not used authentic kashmiri dum aloo. This is a no onion no garlic recipe.
If you are preparing in regular North Indian Style Aloo, then you can add onion paste or ready to use curry paste for quick cooking
Well here in dum aloo recipes, only the name reflects “dum” but the dish is not cooked in dum cooking method.
In this preparation I have used tomato puree and whisked curd to prepare the gravy. To get more rich recipe use ghee or clarified butter. Some people add cashew paste.
How ever this is a basic dish and doesn’t require more ingredients. It’s a no-onion no-garlic dish which is a perfect dish for fasting days. (just remove saunf or fennel powder and use rock salt if you are making this for fasting days).
In Kashmiri recipes fennel seeds plays an important role. It gives a distinct taste to the gravy in Kashmiri Dum Aloo. Similar way I have another recipe Kashmiri Dahi Baingan which I will share here soon.
This is one easy to cook dish and takes less than 15 minutes to prepare if you have boiled potatoes. Though it looks trendy when we use baby potatoes, you can also make the curry with regular potatoes also.
Recipe Card for Kashmiri Dum Aloo
Kashmiri Dum Aloo
- Boil and peel the baby potatoes. don't over boil the potatoes. 1- 2 whistle would be enough to get perfect potatoes.
- Poke holes all around the potatoes using toothpick or skewers.
- Take 2 - 3 tsp red chilli powder and mix with 1/4 cup of water and mix well to prepare a red chilli paste.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Deep fry the potatoes and flip till you get golden brown skin all around. Once done remove from oil and keep on a tissue paper/ paper napkin.
- Remove extra oil from pan. Leave 3 - 4 tbsp oil for further process of preparing gravy.
- Add 1 tsp cumin seeds (Jeera) or caraway seeds (Shahjeera). Add hing. Then add the red chilli paste and stir continuously for 30 seconds.
- Then add tomato puree, fennel powder, coriander powder and mix well. cook for 2 minutes.
- Add beaten curd to the pan and mix well. Stir continuously till it starts boiling.
- Then add fried baby potatoes. Add salt and let it simmer for 3 - 4 minutes more till all flavors incorporated into potatoes. If required add 1 cup water. But these comes with thick gravy. so don't add much water. keep stirring in between.
- Let it simmer. After 5 minutes check the consistency. Turn off. add chopped coriander leaves and garam masala (optional). Serve hot with any kind of bread or rice.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.