Kashmiri Dahi Baingan
This is my 3rd way of making dahi baingan. Recently I have shared 2 other dahi baingan and I’m in love with all three types of it. This kashmiri dahi baingan has distinct flavour from the fennel seeds used.
My 1st dahi baingan is basically made in eastern states like Kolkata and Odisha. That is completely flourless and curd is not cooked in fact. Read my Odia Dahi Baigana recipe and North Indian Dahi Baingan recipe here.
Though Kashmir also comes in North India, the cuisine is somewhere different and unique as well. In this Kashmiri Dahi Baingan, I’m using curd and tomatoes as a base of gravy. It doesn’t contain any flour as well.
The distinct aroma came from fennel seeds or saunf. When I was preparing my Kashmiri Dum Aloo for the first time, I was actually very unsure of adding saunf powder to my gravy. But I did as a trial. And trust me the taste is something different and I loved that.
Then this recipe came to my mind. This is one of the easiest side dish. You can also make this as your main course with paratha and roti (flatbreads).
How To Make Kashmiri Dahi Baingan?
Clean and chop brinjals in desired size.
Shallow fry them till soft and cooked brown.
Remove from pan and keep aside.
Add some more oil in the pan.
Add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
Now add hing and other spices (coriander powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder, fennel powder).
Saute for a minute. Then add curd and tomato puree to the pan.
Keep stirring till it starts to boil.
Add water as per required consistency.
Now add fried brinjals and simmer for another 3 – 5 minutes.
Turn off heat when reached desired consistency.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Recipe Card For Kashmiri Dahi Baingan
Kashmiri Dahi Baingan
- 250 gms brinjal
- 1 cup curd
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp fennel powder (saunf powder)
- 1/2 tsp salt (or as per taste)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- Wash and clean brinjals.
- Chop into desired size.
- Heat 3 – 4 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Shallow fry brinjal pieces on low heat.
- Cover with a lid and flip/ stir in between.
- Remove from heat when done and keep aside.
- In the meanwhile make a puree of tomatoes, curd, ginger and green chilli.
- In the same pan add 1 tbsp ghee/ oil.
- Add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Then add all dry spices mentioned above in ingredient list.
- keep heat on low flame to avoid burning.
- You can also add 2 tbsp water to spices to avoid burning.
- After 15 – 20 seconds add puree and keep stirring continuously.
- Add 1/2 cup water and keep stirring till it starts to boil.
- Now add fried brinjals and give it a nice stir.
- Simmer for 3 – 5 minutes or till you get desired consistency.
- Turn off heat and garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with paratha or with rice.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my face book page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.