Jackfruit Curry in Indian Style/ Kathal Ki Sabzi
Jackfruit or kathel or fanas is a popular dish in India. This is a seasonal fruit. The raw fruit is used as a vegetable especially in spring season. This is heavy and not easily digestible because of heat. Be careful if you have old people at home as they might face stomach upset with jackfruit. (This is from my personal experience). This is a vegetarian replacement of meat. Why I said this is it is prepared and tastes same as meat. If you prepare this curry in mentioned way, trust me it tastes no less than your chicken or meat curry.
This curry can be easily prepared in 15 minutes with ready to use Indian curry paste. Why every time I insist on keeping this curry paste ready is to save your cooking time. With refrigerated curry paste you will save 15 – 20 minutes of your cooking time. Many times we tend to change the menu thinking that preparing this dish is time consuming. But if you have all ingredients ready then it won’t take much time and efforts for cooking.
How to make kathal ki sabzi or jackfruit curry?
January to April is the perfect season if you wish to eat best quality jackfruit. After that as it starts to ripen, you may not get good quality raw jackfruit in market.
Again when I purchase jackfruit/ kathal from market, I get it cut from the vendor only as this is sticky and difficult to cut and time consuming. If you are chopping at home, then to get rid of the gummy raisin apply oil on your palm and knife before holding it or chopping. Remove the thick inner layer of the pieces as well.
If you don’t have ready made curry paste,then you can prepare instantly. I blend all ingredients together. This saves lot of time.
Ingredients for curry paste: 4 onion, 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste, 1 green chilli, 5 cloves, 4 green cardamom, 1 inch cinnamon stick, 7 -8 black pepper, 3 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder.
Grinding whole spices will not reduce their aroma. all of them in one go. The aroma will not evaporate and trust me dish will be equally tasty.
One thing if you want your curry to look red then add 1/2 tsp red chilli powder first before adding the paste. This will give more color to the curry.
For better taste, saute/ shallow fry jackfruit in oil for 4 – 5 minutes or till it’s 50% cooked. It takes less than 30 minutes to prepare 5 – 6 servings of this curry.
Here I would request you to read other similar posts like mushroom matar masala, paneer tikka masala, gatte ki sabzi, palak paneer. Also read matar paneer curry, dum aloo, bagara baingan, lauki kofta curry, malai kofta curry, shaam savera curry.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my face book page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.
Recipe Card For Jackfruit Curry or Kathal Sabzi
Jackfruit Curry in Indian Style
- 1 kg Jack fruit/ Katahal/ Fanas Peeled & Diced
- 1 tsp Salt as per taste
- 7 - 8 tbsp Refined oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seed
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli Powder- (as per taste)
- 2 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 Green Chilli
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/4 inch Cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp Or cinnamon powder
- 8 Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Or black pepper powder
- 5 Cloves
- 5 Cardamom Small
- 4 Onion Diced
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves
- Grind onion, ginger garlic paste, green chillies, cinnamon stick ½ inch, black pepper, cloves, cardamom and 1 tsp cumin seed into fine paste.
- Heat one frying pan or kadai on high flame. Put 8-10 tbsp oil to it. Shallow fry diced jackfruit or katthal till half cooked and turns brown.
- Remove fried jackfruit from pan.
- Remove if excess oil is left or add oil if no oil left in pan after frying. Once Oil is hot put one bay leaf.
- Then add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder & ¼ teaspoon chilli powder. This will give rich color to the gravy. Then immediately add onion paste. Sauté for 5-6 mins on medium flame till onion paste leaves oil and cooked completely.
- Then add coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and mix it well. Add 4-5 tbsp water and sauté masalas for 2-3 mins more. Add salt as per taste.
- Once the masala is cooked with aroma, add fried jackfruit to it. Sauté for 5mins. Add 1 cup of water to it and cook for 15 – 20 mins in low flame. Cover with a lid. Stir occasionally to check.
- You can adjust water as per your taste. If you like to have thick gravy, add lesser water. If you wish to have it with bit more gravy like then add ½ glass water more to the curry.
- Garnish it with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with paratha, chapatti, poori or rice.
PIN FOR LATER