Kuttu ke Pakode Or Buckwheat flour Fritters
Kuttu ke pakode are easy fasting recipes. This can be prepared in two ways,i.e. using boiled potatoes and sliced raw potatoes. In this recipe I have made with potato slices.
In Indian tradition and culture there are many festivals and religious occasions when people observe fast for deities and more over for their belief. Navratra is one of the most important festive occasion and in this festival we do fast for of 9 continuous days continuously.
But the great thing is there are few option of food we can consume during these days. These are called as Falahar or Farari Bhoj. And in these falahar dishes many flours (no grain) and vegetables are restricted like onion, garlic and many more. In fact there are limited vegetables and which we can eat during this vrat or fasting.
Also this choice of vegetable is different for different families or say places. So you need to stick to your family rules for selecting vegetables. Like in my home we can eat only potatoes, no tomato, no green chillies, no coriander. So we do that way. In place of green chilli, we add black pepper powder. That is bit difficult when you have only one option left. But again it matters with our belief system. No hard and fast rule.
Other Food For Navratri
Potatoes are more common and makes the dish more yummy. I love fasting recipes more than regular ones. Most commonly we use Buckwheat Flour (Kuttu), Water Chestnut (Singhara), Sagoo (tapioca pearl), Rajgira (Amaranth) for binding. You can make fritters, Poori, Paratha from these flours as well. They are versatile and also makes a great dish. This is also great and healthy food for kids. As it gives a different taste, kids also love such dish.
Read other vrat recipes on blog: Kuttu Chips, Kuttu Aloo Tikki, Aloo Jeera, Aloo Tomato, Sama Chalwal Khichdi, Sama Chawal Dosa, Sabudana Khichdi, Sabudana Vada. In sweet dish try my vrat special Sabudana Kheer, Aloo Halwa, Paneer Kheer, Fruits Raita, Singhade ki Burfi, Lauki Launj (halwa).
Recipe Card for Kuttu Ke pakode/ Kuttu Chips
Indian Fasting Recipe Kuttu Ke Pakode or Buckwheat Flour Fritters
- 1/2 cup Buckwheat Flour
- 2 medium Potatoes Peeled & sliced
- 1/2 tsp Rocksalt
- 1 cup Refined Oil For deep frying
- 1/4 cup Water or as required for batter
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- Wash and peel the skin of potato. cut into slices.
- Add flour, black pepper & rock salt. Add 1/4 cup water slowly and gradually to make a medium thick consistent batter. The batter should be of coating consistency.
- Dip slices into the batter and coat it.
- Heat a pan and oil. Once oil is hot, drop the batter coated potato slices into it. When its golden brown flip to other side.
- Once done both sides remove from heat and transfer to a clean plate.
- Serve with curd or tea as tea time snacks.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my face book page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.