How To Make Paneer At Home | Homemade Paneer In 15 Minutes
Paneer or Cottage Cheese has a special place in Indian cooking. These are protein rich dairy products and literally very tasty. Even if you don’t add any seasoning, you can have it as it is. These are so soft and it feels heavenly when they melt in mouth.
In Indian cuisine, paneer is used in almost all type of food. You make appetizers, main course, paratha, even desserts, it’s a complete winner in all foods. Again for vegetarians this is the major source of protein and highly recommended. If you are vegetarian then you should include this super dairy product minimum 3 times a week in your diet to get adequate protein requirement.
When we buy paneer from market we can not guarantee the quality of milk and paneer. We don’t know even if the paneer we are buying are fresh or not. If the paneer you don’t find of good in quality or not fresh, the whole preparation gets spoiled. If not fresh, they may taste slight bitter and more sour, chewy.
So I prefer to make them at home. It does not take more than 20 minutes. Again you will have best quality paneer available with you. My little one loves paneer. So whenever he demands, I make fresh paneer instantly. I normally use vinegar to curdle. Alternatively you can add lemon juice, curd and buttermilk also for the process. However using curd and buttermilk yields softer paneer.
It’s easy to prepare and takes less than 30 minutes to prepare. Precisely it took me 20 minutes for everything. Setting process takes 15 minutes.
Tips for making soft paneer
Use full cream milk as it gives paneer of best quality. and it will be soft as well. Don’t use skimmed milk or tonned milk for this recipe.
Use curd or butter milk if you wish for softer paneer.
If using lemon once you remove from hot whey wash them once to remove the taste of lemon.
Once milk curldles completely and separates from whey, turn off gas stove. Else paneer will be hard and chewy.
Storing paneer and re-using
You can make paneer and store for further use. To keep it soft, you can keep them in water and store in freeze. Similarly when you take out for your preparation, keep it in luke warm water. Evenif you are buying from stores, then also dip it in warm to hot water for 10 minutes before you use paneer. This makes paneer soft.
Homemade Paneer | Indian Cottage Cheese
- 2 ltr Full fat milk
- 5 tbsp White Vinegar
- Heat milk in a heavy bottom pan.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Add vinegar and wait till it curdles.
- If it’s not completely curdled then add some more vinegar to this.
- Wait till paneer separates from the whey (greenish or whitish liquid)
- Turn off gas. Strain it with help of a muslin cloth.
- Run some fresh water on it to get rid of that taste of curdling agent.
- Carefully squeeze it to get rid of excess liquid from this.
- Place it in a container along with tied muslin cloth (as shown in picture).
- Place a heavy object on top of it to set properly.
- After 15 minutes, remove this from cloth.
- Paneer is set now. Cut it into desired pieces.
- Homemade healthy paneer is ready.
How to make soft paneer at home
1. Take milk in a heavy bottom vessel. Bring it to a boil.
2 Once milk boils, pour in vinegar (or whatever agent you are using). Stir well.
3. Milk starts to curdle.
4. Check if it’s completely separated and separated from whey.
5. If it’s not completely curdled, add some more vinegar.
6. Strain out from whey and wash with fresh water once.
7. Put it in muslin cloth and squeeze out excess water.
8. Keep some heavy weight on it. Keep this for 15 minutes to set.
9. Remove after 15 minutes.
10 Cut into desired pieces.
Homemade Paneer is ready for use.
If you love paneer, read other paneer recipes here.
Pin it for later