Goan Mushroom Vindaloo [How to make Mushroom Vindaloo]
Mushroom Vindaloo is a vegetarian version of vindaloo dish. Authentic vindaloo recipe is made with pork and motton or chicken. You can make different vindaloo recipes such as paneer vindaloo, potato vindaloo, mix vegetable vindaloo.
If you will search for its history, you will get it from wikipedia. Just to brief, its originally a Portuguese dish where they use to marinate the meat in this spice and stored in wine for sailors. When modified to Indian version, wine got replaced with palm vinegar. Now this is a cuisine from Konkan (Goan curry). It has many more evolution in Indian version.
Okay let me tell you the basic difference of this particular dish. In this recipe, malt vinegar or coconut vinegar is used for marination. However if you are making paneer vindaloo, you will have to marinate the paneer in the vindaloo spice mix. But other vegetables, you can directly add to the curry. No need to marinate separately. This is an easy recipe and you may prepare the dish with in 30 minutes.
Potatoes goes very well with these vindaloo recipes. Here I have shallow fried potatoes and then added them to the curry.
Also read: mushroom matar vindaloo recipe
Here I would request you to read other similar posts like mushroom matar masala, paneer tikka masala, gatte ki sabzi, palak paneer. Also read matar paneer curry, dum aloo, bagara baingan, lauki kofta curry, malai kofta curry, shaam savera curry.
Lets make this Mushroom Vindaloo Recipe.
- 250 gms Mushroom
- 1 Onion
- 1 Green Chilli
- 8 Dry Red Chilli
- 4 Cloves
- 6 Black pepper
- 2 tsp Corinader seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Potato chopped
- 2 tbsp Malt Vinegar/ White Vinegar/ Coconut Vinegar
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon stick
- 2 Potatoes chopped
- In hot water soak the red chillies for some time. After that remove from water and blend with all dry spices mentioned in list along with vinegar, water as required.
- Heat oil in a pan. Shallow fry the sliced mushrooms and potatoes separately. Remove once they are light brown and well fried and keep on paper tower to soak excess oil
- Remove excess oil. Keep 1 tbsp oil. Add chopped onion, green chilli and saute till translucent.
- Add the spice paste and saute well. add salt and cook till the paste is cooked and leaves oil.
- Add shallow fried mushrooms & potatoes to the paste. Add 1/4 cup water and stir well. Let it simmer for some time.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and turn off heat. Serve with flatbread.