Gatte Ka Biryani | Gatte Ka Pulao Rice
Gatte Ka Biryani | Gatte Ka Pulao Rice recipe with step by step photos.
This is a fusion recipe of Rajasthani gatte with rice. I have made curry and rice separately and then mixed both and cooked it for some time. I have not used the dum cooking method for this biryani preparation.
However, you can make this biryani using the dum cooking method as well. Read my baby potato dum biryani recipe.
Also, read my best veg rice recipe collection on blog.
What is gatta made of?
Besan or gram flour is the key ingredient of gatte. This is also healthier food as we use less oil and the gatte logs are in fact steamed or boiled. You can also fry these gatte logs after boiling. But I like it with boiled gatta more.
There is another way of making gatte ki sabzi in which gatta are stuffed and then boiled and then deep-fried. It’s known as Govind gatte. Govind gatte is a richer version of plain gatte.
Read my Rajasthani Gatte Ki Sabzi recipe here. This is one of my favorite recipes. Gatte ki sabzi is super easy to make with minimum ingredients. I mean there is fancy ingredients required to make this curry. The same is with my fusion recipe of gatte ka biryani or pulao.
Adding biryani masala and whole spices enhance the flavour of the rice just like authentic biryani recipe. But this is like an Instant biryani (Instant Gatte ka Biryani). You can also make gatte ka pulao by just skipping the magical whole spices and biryani masala.
Recipe Card for Gatte Ka Biryani
Gatte ka Biryani/ Gatte ka Pulao
For Besan Gatta
- 4 – 5 tbsp brown onions
- 4 – 5 tbsp fresh coriander leaves finely chopped
- In a mixing bowl add in besan, carom seeds, red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt, oil and mix well.
- Add little water and knead this to a soft dough
- Grease your palms and divide the dough into equal balls.
- Take a ball and roll it lightly making into logs.
- Heat water in a saucepan.
- Add logs to boiling water one by one.
- Boil it for 5 minutes and them remove from hot water.
- Now cut the log into smaller pieces.
- Keep aside for further use.
- Take thick curd and chopped tomatoes. Put them together in a blender and
puree to a smooth mixture.
- Now heat ghee in a pan or kadai.
- Add cumin seeds or caraway seeds (shah jeera).
- Add chopped onions, ginger garlic freshly crushed. Sauté till translucent.
- Add all dry spices mentioned under gravy ingredients (except salt) and mix well.
- Sauté for 10 seconds and then add pureed tomato and curd. Mix well
- Add little water if required. Simmer for 3 – 5 minutes or till it's cooked.
- Now add 1/4 cup water and boiled gatta pieces.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or till reach a thicker consistency.
- Now add cooked rice to the gravy pan. Saute for 2 – 3 minutes on low flame.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and browned onion slices.
How to make gatte ka biryani?
This recipe has 2 steps. 1. Preparing Rice & 2. Preparing gravy. Then mix both and simmer for a few minutes.
Use basmati rice or long grain rice for best results. Prepare rice in a large pot. Add 1 bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom to the water while preparing rice. So rice will absorb all aromas of whole spices and will be fragrant.
Once the rice is cooked al dente, remove from heat and strain out using a large colander. Then run it under water to stop overcooking of rice as we want non-sticky rice (not mushy).
Preparing Gatta And Gravy
Make a soft dough of besan and other spices. Make small balls from these dough and then make logs.
Boil them in hot water for 5 minutes or till you see small flaky skins on out. Don’t over boil. Be careful while adding these gatta logs to the water add one by one and not all at once. Make sure you are adding each log to boiling water only.
Then remove logs from hot water and divide into 1/2 cm pieces. Keep aside for further use.
At the same time start preparing the gravy. Take thick curd and chopped tomatoes. Put them together in a blender and puree to a smooth mixture.
Now heat ghee in a pan or kadai. Add cumin seeds or caraway seeds (shah jeera). Add chopped onions, ginger garlic freshly crushed. Saute till translucent.
Add all dry spices (except salt) and mix well. Saute for 10 seconds and then add pureed tomato and curd. Mix well. Hing or asafoetida is an important ingredient while making gatta recipes. It will enhance the taste of the curry.
Add little water if required. Simmer for 3 – 5 minutes or till it’s cooked.
Now add 1/4 cup water and boiled gatta pieces. Simmer for 5 minutes or to reach a thicker consistency. Cover with a lid and simmer on low flame.
When gravy turns thicker consistency, add in cooked rice to the gravy pan. Saute for 2 – 3 minutes on low flame. Add chopped coriander leaves and brown onion slices.
Gatte Dum Biryani
- If you want to cook in the dum method, then after making gravy and rice (cook it 90%) separately, arrange in a cooker or biryani cooker.
- 1st layer with gatta gravy, then 1 layer of rice.
- on top of that sprinkle some biryani masala, coriander leaves, mint leaves, brown onion slices.
- Next layer with another layer of gatte gravy.
- Then add the next layer of rice on it.
- Now sprinkle some more chopped coriander & mint leaves, brown onions, 1 tbsp desi ghee on top.
- Then seal the cooker with flour dough and cook on low flame for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes turn off the heat. Remove the dough and open lid. Amazing dum biryani is ready.
PIN IT FOR LATER
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.