Indian Pickle Spice Mix
In India food is incomplete without pickles. It has its existence since many ages. Indian pickles have wide range of flavors and textures.
There are three basic category of Indian pickle
1. preserved in salt
2. preserved in vinegar
3. preserved in oil
The process of pickling is to preserve the vegetables or fruits. Again in the process of preserving, the agents used (salt, vinegar, oil) gives flavour along with the spices we add to it during pickling. It would not be that mouth watering if you store pickles only in salt or vinegar.
So the real magic comes from the spice mix we add to it. This gives it unique aroma that enhances the taste when preserved. The longer you preserve it the tastier pickles will be. I make pickles one year in advance, However there are also recipes of instant pickles.
Recipe Card for Indian Pickle Spice Mix Or Achari Masala
- Coriander Powder - 100gms
- Cumin Seeds - 50gm
- Fennel Seeds - 40 gm
- Yellow Mustard seeds halves - 40gm
- Onion seeds - 10gm
- Fenugreek Seeds - 10gm
- Mix all spices on a dry plate and sun dry this for a day.
- Or Dry roast all ingredients on medium tolow flame but careful to avoid burning of spices.
- Dry roast all spices separately one by one but not more than 1 - 2 minutes for every spice.
- Mix them together in a grinder jar. Spice mix is ready. Transfer it to some air tight container and store for future use.
Last year while preparing mango pickle at home, I had made this pickle spice mix. Pickle spice mix (Achaar Masala) is a blend of all aromatic spices which are ground together. While preparing pickle add the this pickle spice mix along with oil and salt and preserve for years. You can always make some extra spice mix and store them in a airtight container.
- Mix the spice with ready to use curry paste and stuff inside eggplant, ridged gourd.
- Read recipes: Stuffed Pickly Eggplant in 10 Minutes (Achari Bharwa Baingan, Stuffed Bitter Gourd in 10 Minutes (Achari Bharwa Karela).
- No need to chop onion, garlic or dry roast the whole spices, cool it and then grind to fine powder. It saves almost 30 minutes of your cooking time.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp spice mix on dry or stir fried vegetables. It will give a pickly taste to the preparation.
- You can make instant pickles quickly by adding this spice mix.
Make this spice mix and add to the dried raw mangoes. Add salt, red chilli powder, asafoetida and mustard oil generously. Store till the mango turns juicy and soft with all flavors and aroma of spices. Add little more salt as this speeds up the process of pickling and helps in softening process.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my face book page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.