Aloo Simla fry or potato capsicum stir fry is one of the easiest dish ever I love to make. I love to make this because I love the taste of simla or capsicum. And you name any vegetables, potato is best accompaning vegetable. Let it be aloo simla, aloo baingan, aloo bhindi, aloo gobi, aloo matar, aloo gajar matar and the list goes so on.
The best part of cooking simla or capsicum is it takes very less time to get cooked if you compare with other vegetables. So if you want the dish to be little crunchy then add simla after potatoes are cooked completely. But I wanted the flavor of simla and little over fried ones. so I have added simla along with potatoes. Well that is the normal process.
Aloo simla fry goes well with roti (Indian flatbreads) or as side dish with dal rice. This is an easy lunch box recipe which can be made quickly.
East to Cook Potato & Capsicum Stir-Fry
- 3 medium Potato/ Aaloo peeled & diced
- 1 medium Capsicum chopped
- 1 tsp Salt (as per taste)
- 3 tbsp refined oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp sabji masala
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp hing or asafoetida
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan on medium to high flame.
- Once oil is hot, add cumin seeds. Let it crackle and then add sliced onion and green chillies. Add ginger garlic paste. Sauté for 2 mins on high flame till it turns translucent.
- Add chopped capsicum & potatoes. Add salt as per taste. Don’t add water to it. Sauté for 5 minutes (or half cooked) by stirring occasionally.
- Then add hing, coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and mix it well. Add 4-5 tbsp water and stir well. Cook for 2-3 mins more.
- Cover with a lid and cook in low flame till potatoes are cooked completely.
- Sprinkle garam masala or sabji masala and mix well.
- Garnish it with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with paratha, chapatti & rice.
- Use boiled potatoes to reduce the cooking time.
- Don’t add water at all