Dhaba Restaurant Style Dal Tadka| Dal Fry Recipe
Dal tadka is a staple food which is served with roti and rice both. Dal is made of lentils of different types. Here is a simple and authentic dhaba style Punjabi dal tadka.
Dal tadka what we make at home is little different than what we get from dhaba or restaurants. I make dal very often and it’s a part of our daily routine, in lunch and in dinner both.
But if you will eat same thing daily it’s quite boring. So I do change varieties and way of making as it has great impact on final result.
Punjabi Dal Tadka which we get in dhaba or restaurants is made with mixture of arhar or tuar dal and moong dal or masoor dal. Basically it’s a combination of these three types of dal.
The ratio should be like this: Tur dal 3 parts, moong dal 2 parts and masoor dal 1 part. So if you are taking 3/4 cup tur dal, add 1/2 cup moong dal, 1/4 cup masoor dal. Adding moong and masoor enhances consistency and taste of dal or lentil soup.
However if you want you can make it either with tur and moong dal or tur and masoor dal also.
How To Make Punjabi Dal Tadka Restaurant / Dhaba Style?
To make this punjabi dal tadka, make a mixture of tur dal, moong dal and masoor dal in said proportion. Pressure cook with salt, turmeric and water for 5 – 7 minutes or till dal is cooked well (appx 4 – 5 whistles).
Then heat ghee/ oil in a pan. Add chopped ginger, garlic, onions, green chillies and saute till translucent.
Then add tomato chopped and again saute till it’s cooked and soft. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, and mix well.
Then pour in boiled lentils to the tadka. Check salt and add if required. Also add in some water if it’s very thick to bring in a desired consistency.
Now prepare another tempering with jeera and hing. Hing plays an essential role in Indian dal recipe as it adds that extra punch of flavour to the dal.
Take a small tadka pan. Heat some more ghee. Add cumin seeds, ginger, garlic, hing to the pan and keep it on low flame. Add in some dry red chillies. After a minute, or once cumin crackled completely and garlic is little brown, pour in the tempering to the dal and immediately cover with a lid. This will help in absorption of all aromatic spices into our prepared Dal Tadka.
Two tadka is very much essential if you want dhaba like flavour of this Punjabi Dal Tadka. And if you don’t want to give two tadka or tempering, then in first tadka, add in cumin seeds first before adding ginger garlic and onions.
Also remember hing (asafoetida) is an integral and necessary part of any dal or dal tadka. In market to get a good quality hing is a tough job infact with lots of adulterated spices. I use one that I get from my native in UP. The aroma will tell you it’s quality. Just a pinch is enough..
Recipe Card For Dhaba Style Punjabi Dal Tadka
Dhaba Style Dal Tadka
- 3/4 cup toor dal
- 1/2 cup moong dal
- 1/4 cup masoor dal
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 8-10 garlic pods finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ginger finely chopped
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 2 dry red chillies
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp hing
- 1 tsp salt or as per taste
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 – 5 tbsp ghee
- Wash dal 2 – 3 times and put in a pressure cooker.
- Add 2 cup water to it. Add salt and turmeric powder.
- Pressure cook for 4 – 5 whistles.
- Open lid of cooker when pressure released on it’s own.
- Whisk the dal to check if it’s cooked completely.
- Heat a pan. Add ghee to it.
- Add in chopped ginger, garlic, green leaves and saute for a minute.
- Then add chopped onions and cook till translucent.
- Then add tomatoes and cook till soft.
- Add red chilli powder and mix well.
- Pour in cooked dal to the pan. Give it a nice stir.
- Simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Take a small tadka pan. Heat ghee.
- Once ghee is hot add cumin seeds, hing. Let them crackle on low flame.
- Add dry red chilli, ginger garlic into pan and saute for a minute.
- Immediately transfer tempering to the dal. Cover with a lid.
- Leave it for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and squeeze 1 lemon juice.
- Serve hot with roti or paratha.
Here I would request you to read other similar posts like mushroom matar masala, paneer tikka masala, gatte ki sabzi, palak paneer. Also read matar paneer curry, dum aloo, bagara baingan, lauki kofta curry, malai kofta curry, shaam savera curry.
Pin it for later
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my face book page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.