Crispy Tater Tots | Crispy Potato Bites with step by step photos.
Tater Tots are easy and quick potato appetizers. The crisp bites are heavenly in fact. These are known with different names as well e.g. potato bites.
It’s that quick and easy to make these tots at home you will forget buying the frozen ones. Well you can make your own frozen ones here and store for months. Whenever required pull out some and deep fry or bake the tiny tots.
The tots are deep-fried to get that crunchy texture by deep frying. I like it that way only. Well you can also bake them to crisp and get oil free tots to satisfy your cravings.
These are again kid friendly snacking items. If you want to add some nutrition to this add broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini or whatever veggies you feel like.
Recipe Card For Crispy Tater Tots
Crispy Tater Tots | Crispy Potato Bites
- Pressure Cooker
- Frying Pan
- 4 potatoes
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
- water to boil potatoes
- 1/4 cup refined flour
- 1 tsp corn starch
- Boil potatoes for 3 – 4 whistles.
- Remove from cooker when pressure releases.
- Peel off skin and allow it to cool for sometime.
- Keep in refrigerator for some 10 minutes to cool completely.
- Now take out potatoes and grate using a cheese grater. (Don't mash)
- Add flour, salt, chilli flakes and herbs.
- Mix it gently.
- Take out small portion and give it a small cylinder shape.
- Grease your palms to avoid sticking.
- Make small cylindrical tots from mixture.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- When oil is hot enough drop tots into it.
- If oil is too hot then reduce it to medium flame. (else it will burn from out only)
- Make sure tots are equally getting cooked from all sides by turning tots once or twice.
- Remove from oil once these are golden and crisp.
- Place on paper napkin to soak excess oil.
- Serve hot with desired sauce or dip.
- Don’t over boil potatoes as it will turn mashy and gummy. You need par boiled potatoes.
- If not convenient with pressure cooker, use open pan for boiling potato cubes and check with help of fork.
- Never add flour to hot potatoes. It will turn sticky and gummy
- Also use refrigerated boiled potatoes.
- To increase crispiness, instead of boiling deep-fry or roast pieces of potatoes in oven. Then shred to smaller chunks and combine with flour/ starch.
- You can eliminate refined flour and add only cornstarch (2 tbsp) while mixing.
Are Tater Tots similar to Hash Browns?
I saw there is lot of arguments on internet. some says its same and some differs. But if you will ask me I will say ingredient wise it’s almost same (except few more ingredients in hash).
Tots are small cylindrical bites while hashbrown is larger and round or oval shape (just like pancakes or latkes).
How to make tater tots at home?
Take par boiled potatoes. Peel off skin and grate using a cheese grater.
Take a mixing bowl and add in grated potatoes, salt, chilli flakes, herbs and finally flour.
Mix the ingredients gently. Don’t mash the potatoes while mixing.
Take out small portion and shape them into small cylinders.
Heat oil in a pan and drop all shaped tots into it.
Turn them once or twice and make sure it’s equally fried.
Take out from oil and place on a paper napkin to get rid of excess oil.
Serve hot with ketchup or any dip of your choice.
Read similar party appetizers and finger foods e.g. paneer corn seekh kabab, potato lollipop, veg shammi kabab, cheesy cauliflower tots , vegan broccoli tots, chinese fritters, cheesy onion fritters, crispy onion fritters, potato latkes, crispy corn kabab, crispy corn chaat, etc.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.
PIN IT FOR LATER