Chana Dal Curry | Curried Bengal Gram Lentils Soup
Chana Dal Curry or Curried Bengal Gram Lentils Soup is an easy one pot protein rich dish. I love this dish since childhood. In this dal my mom used to add potatoes.
Bottle gourd is also added to this curry in another recipe called Lauki Chana. I like the potato version more than bottle gourds.
This bengal gram lentils takes longer to get cooked as compared to other lentils. So I would advice to soak them in warm water for 15 minutes. If you will not soak them prior, it will take 3 – 5 more whistles to get properly cooked.
Again it depends upon the quality of water in your locality. At my place it takes 8 – 10 whistles for the gram lentils to get well cooked.
If you will cook in pan or kadai, it will take around 40 – 45 minutes to cook them. But I don’t believe in time consuming cooking methods. So I pressure cook the dal with all aromatic curry spices.
This dal I have prepared in the same way as curries are cooked. For other dal I first pressure cook and then add in tempering of cumin seeds, garlic and spices to them.
But here I have started with tempering first. That means first sautee onion garlic tomatoes and other spices. Then add soaked lentils. This is easier as well.
I have added potato cubes to the lentils. Also added raw mangoes for that tangy taste. If not in season you may add dry mango powder to the dish. A pinch of garam masala adds that freshness and additional curry flavor to the dal. So you may consider adding that also.
Lets make this easy protein punch bengal gram lentils or chana dal.
Chana Dal Curry/ Curried Bengal Gram Lentils Soup
- 1 cup bengal gram lentils/ chana dal
- 2 Potatoes dieced
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 Tomato finely chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 Garlic pods
- 2 Dried Red chillies
- 1 Green Chilli (optional)
- 2 tbsp coriader powder
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida Powder
- 1 tsp Salt or as per taste
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 raw mango sliced
- 1/2 tsp aamchur powder or dry mango powder (any one from raw mango or powder)
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- Wash and soak the dal in water for 20 minutes.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds once they crackle add in hing/ asafoetida, ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute. Add garlic and onion and saute till they are translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes to the cooker. Cook till tomatoes are cooked and soft.
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder. Mix well and cook for a minute. Add in soaked lentils or dal. Mix with spices and cook on high flame for 2 minutes.
- Add sliced raw mango (cut into larger pieces). Add in 2 cups of water. Close the lid of the cooker and cook for 5 - 6 whistles on medium heat.
- Turn off heat and wait till the lid opens. Then add garam masala and chopped coriander leaves. If you are using dry mango powder in stead of raw mangoes then at this stage.Mix well and close the lid for 5 minutes more.
- Serve hot with rice or any flatbreads.
Read my other dal recipes like
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my face book page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.