Gatte Ka Biryani | Gatte Ka Pulao Rice
Gatte Ka Biryani | Gatte Ka Pulao Rice recipe with step by step photos.
This is a fusion recipe of rajasthani gatte with rice. I have made curry and rice separately and then mixed both and cooked for some time. I have not used dum cooking for this biryani.
However you can make this biryani using dum cooking method as well. Read my baby potato dum biryani recipe.
Also read my best veg rice recipe collection on blog.
What is gatta made of?
Besan or gram flour is the key ingredient of gatte. This is also healthier as we use less oil and the gatte logs are in fact steamed or boiled. Some also fry these boiled logs. But I like it with boiled gatta more.
There is another way of making gatte ki sabzi in which gatta are stuffed and then boiled and then deep fried. It’s known as govind gatte.
Read my Rajasthani Gatte Ki Sabzi recipe here.
Recipe Card for Gatte Ka Biryani
Gatte ka Biryani/ Gatte ka Pulao
- 1 cup rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cloves
- 2 -3 cardamom
- water as required
For Besan Gatta
- 1 cup gram flour/ besan
- 1/4 tsp carom seeds
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (as per taste)
- 1 tsp oil
- water to make dough
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/ caraway seeds
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 green chillies cut into slits
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp shahi biryani masala
- 1 tsp salt or as per taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 – 5 tbsp brown onions
- 4 – 5 tbsp fresh coriander leaves finely chopped
- In a mixing bowl add in besan, carom seeds, red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt, oil and mix well.
- Add little water and knead this to a soft dough
- Grease your palms and divide the dough into equal balls.
- Take a ball and roll it lightly making into logs.
- Heat water in a saucepan.
- Add logs to boiling water one by one.
- Boil it for 5 minutes and them remove from hot water.
- Now cut the log into smaller pieces.
- Keep aside for further use.
- Take thick curd and chopped tomatoes. Put them together in a blender and
puree to a smooth mixture.
- Now heat ghee in a pan or kadai.
- Add cumin seeds or caraway seeds (shah jeera).
- Add chopped onions, ginger garlic freshly crushed. Sauté till translucent.
- Add all dry spices mentioned under gravy ingredients (except salt) and mix well.
- Sauté for 10 seconds and then add pureed tomato and curd. Mix well
- Add little water if required. Simmer for 3 – 5 minutes or till it's cooked.
- Now add 1/4 cup water and boiled gatta pieces.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or till reach a thicker consistency.
- Now add cooked rice to the gravy pan. Saute for 2 – 3 minutes on low flame.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and browned onion slices.
How to make gatte ka biryani?
This recipe has 2 steps. 1. Preparing Rice & 2. Preparing gravy. Then mix both and simmer for few minutes.
Use basmati rice or long grain rice for best results. Prepare rice in a large pot. Add 1 bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom to the water while preparing rice.
So rice will absorb all aromas of whole spices and will be fragrant.
Preparing Gatta And Gravy
Make a soft dough of besan and other spices. Make small balls from these dough and then make logs.
Boil them in hot water for 5 minutes.
Then remove logs and divide into 1/2 cm pieces. Keep aside for further use.
At the same time start preparing the gravy. Take thick curd and chopped tomatoes. Put them together in a blender and puree to a smooth mixture.
Now heat ghee in a pan or kadai. Add cumin seeds or caraway seeds (shah jeera). Add chopped onions, ginger garlic freshly crushed. Saute till translucent.
Add all dry spices (except salt) and mix well. Saute for 10 seconds and then add pureed tomato and curd. Mix well.
Add little water if required. Simmer for 3 – 5 minutes or till it’s cooked.
Now add 1/4 cup water and boiled gatta pieces. Simmer for 5 minutes or till reach a thicker consistency.
When gravy turns slight thicker consistency, add in cooked rice to the gravy pan. Saute for 2 – 3 minutes on low flame. Add chopped coriander leaves and brown onion slices.
PIN IT FOR LATER
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.