Raita is a side dish in Indian cuisine and very common in almost all parts of India. This form of raita is a part of daily diet in north Indian Kitchen. Its made from curd and boondi (fried droplets made of gram flour). This curd preparation goes well with any type of paratha and even in the main course. Addition of raita or buttermilk to the main course in lunch or dinner adds satisfaction to another level.
This is very easy to make and takes only 5 minutes or less. It can be seasoned with dry roasted cumin seeds, coriander leaves, mint leaves, cayanne pepper, chat masala, black salt, dried fenufreek leaves (kasuri Methi) etc depending on your tastee and type of raita.
Also make variety of raita such as veg raita, cucumber raita, oats raita, pinnaple raita, lauki raita, aalo raita etc.
Lets make this raita and serve with hot Methi Paratha, Aaloo Paratha, or even Biryani. Share your feedback and comments below. You can directly mail to my email id.
- 1 cup Curd
- 1/2 cup Boondi 100 – 150gms
- 1 tsp Salt or as per taste
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- 1 pinch Red Chilli Powder (Optional)
- 1 pinch Asafoetida/ Hing
- 1 pinch Chat Masala
- Water – As required
- Soak the boondi in fresh or cold water for 5 minutes to soak and become soft.
- Beat yogurt to smooth and mix to the soaked boondi. Adjust water as per the consistency you require.
- Heat a pan and dry roast the cumin seeds. Remove from heat and crush the roasted cumin seed to coarse powder. Add to the curd. Season with salt as per taste.
- Raaita is ready to be served. Sprinkle a pinch of red chilli powder & chat masala. However both are optional and you can skip.
- You can else add tampering of 1/4 tsp oil, a pinch of hing and cumin seeds and add them to the raita