Black eyed peas/ Lobia Curry/ Chawli Curry
Lobia, also called as black eyed peas or cowpeas or black eyed beans or chawli in Hindi is a very popular bean worldwide. Though its named as peas, it’s a bean and belongs to legumes. It contains almost all essential vitamins and minerals. Hence it’s one of the super food with numerous health benefits.
Lobia as a super-food:
- This is rich in soluble dietary fiber and protein.
- Low in fat and low in calorie & hence helps in weight loss.
- Low in sodium and cholesterol free legume.
- Rich in anti-oxidants and helps in skin rejuvenation.
- Delays skin ageing and keeps skin healthy.
- Makes hair shiny and healthy, fights hair loss & boosts hair growth
There are many more benefits other than these and soon I will try to make another post with it’s benefits. However try to include them at least twice or thrice in your daily diet. It’s one of the popular bean in Africa and America. In the Southern United States it’s believed that eating black-eyed peas or Hoppin’ John (rice & peas cooked together in addition to pork/ meat) on new years eve brings good luck and prosperity.
In India, its prepared like other beans curry (e.g Rajma masala/ Red Kidney Beans Curry, Dal Makhani). It’s easy to prepare. You can make this beans or can mix with other beans to make curry or soups. Even mix these beans with rice and make a pulao or biryani. Read Lobia Biryani recipe.
Also read other black-eyed peas recipes like Veg Minestrone Soup, Three Bean Curry (Curry Soup).
This lobia curry I have prepared in pressure cooker. It takes 15 – 20 minutes for the whole process. So its quick, easy, healthy. One more thing you should do when you cook any of these legumes. Soak them overnight. These lobia seeds are not as hard as chickpeas. So you can soak them for 2 hours minimum. What I do is I soak them in hot water and cover the vessel with a lid. So it helps to fasten the process and they turn soft enough to cook further.
Lets start and make delicious and healthy black-eyed bean or lobia curry.
American Lobia Curry/ Chawli Curry
- Soak beans for 4 - 6 hrs or over night. then remove from water and keep aside for further process.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and let it crackcle.
- Add ginger garlic paste or chopped ginger & garlic, chopped green chillies. Saute for a minute.
- Add chopped onion and saute till translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till they are soft and mushy.
- Add coriander powder, red chilli powder,turmeric powder. Stir well. Add 1/4 cup water if required to avoid burning of spices.
- Add soaked beans and mix well. Season with salt & pepper. Cook on medium flame for 3 - 5 minutes.
- Add water 1 - 1.5 cup water depending on consistency required.
- Close lid of cooker and pressure cook for 5 - 6 whistles. Turn off gas and wait for the lid to open.
- Once lid opens, with help of spatula or spoon press beans slightly so as to give it a little creamy structure.
- Another way is take out 2 large spoon full of beans from cooker and grind it to a coarse puree and add that back to rest curry. This will thicken the curry gravy.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.