Bhindi ka salan is an authentic Hyderabadi dish. This is very popular in Hyderabad.
This curry has tangy flavour of tamarind along with nutty flavour of peanuts and sesame seeds. I love this tangy spicy curry as my side dish.
You can make this as main course also with chapati or paratha. This goes best with steamed rice.
This recipe is similar to my hyderabadi bagara baingan.
Bhindi ka salan can be prepared in some other variations also. But I like that nutty flavour in curry.
If you are looking for some easy bhindi or okra recipes, read following on blog:
For this salan curry, I have used small sized (finger sized) and tender okra or bhindi. Then whole bhindi is used just after removing head and tail part. You don’t need to chop it more unless you have long ones.
Recipe Card for Bhindi Ka Salan
Bhindi ka Salan
- 250 gms bhindi or okra
- 3 tbsp peanuts
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp dessicated coconut
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 10 – 12 curry leaves
- 2 green chilli cut into slits
- 1 onion cut into slice
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 1 pinch methi seeds/ fenugreek seeds
- 1 pinch hing/ asafoetida
- 6 – 8 tbsp oil or as required
Frying Bhindi/ Okra
- Wash and pat dry bhindi.
- Remove head and tail of bhindi.
- Shallow fry them till cooked.
- Remove from oil and keep aside for further use.
Curry Paste for Salan
- Dry roast peanuts, dessicated coconut, sesame seeds one by one.
- In a blender blend roasted items into smooth paste.
Preparing Gravy of Salan
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Put cumin seeds, mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Let them crackle completely.
- Now add curry leaves, green chillies, ginger garlic paste, onion slices and saute till translucent.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and saute.
- Then add paste of peanuts, coconut and sesame seeds.
- Add little water and give it a nice stir.
- Now add tamarind pulp and salt.
- Add water as required and bring it to a boil.
- Once it's cooked well and leaves oil on sides, add fried bhindi or okra.
- Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander leaves.
How to make bhindi ka salan?
Dry roast peanuts, coconut, sesame seeds.
Cool for sometime. Blend it to smooth paste.
Wash and clean bhindi. Remove head and tail part. Pat dry or air dry for some time.
Now shallow fry bhindi/ okra in a pan.
Remove from oil once done.
In same pan add 3 tbsp oil. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and let it splutter.
Add curry leaves, green chillies, ginger garlic paste, onions. Saute till translucent.
Then add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and stir well.
Now add paste of peanuts, sesame seeds, dessicated coconut.
Mix it well. Add some water and bring it to a boil.
Add tamarind paste and simmer till paste is cooked and releases oil.
Now add fried okra or bhindi. Let it simmer for 3- 5 minutes on low flame.
Turn off heat and add chopped coriander leaves.
Serve hot with steamed rice or chapati.
Here I would request you to read other similar posts like mushroom matar masala, paneer tikka masala, gatte ki sabzi, palak paneer. Also read matar paneer curry, dum aloo, bagara baingan, lauki kofta curry, malai kofta curry, shaam savera curry.
PIN IT FOR LATER
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.