Bathua Raita | How to make Bathua Raita | North Indian Style
Bathua is a leafy vegetable and generally available abundantly during winter season only. These are commonly known as pigweed, lamb’s quarters, meldem, goosefoot. This is extensively cultivated and consumed in North India. Bathua is used in many dishes like bathua paratha, bathua bhaji, bathua poori, bathua raita, bathua dal, bathua curry etc. All recipes are equally easy to make.
What is raita?
Raita is one of the staple Indian condiment made from curd. We can mix other vegetables or fruits to give it a twist and this adds different flavor to the dish. Salt and other spices are enhance the flavor of curd. Cumin seeds and asafoetida plays major role in these raita.
What are different types of raita we can make?
Basic vegetable raita has cucumber, onion, tomatoes. Add grated carrots and make carrot raita. Add grated and boiled bottle gourd and make lauki raita. Or add fruits and make sweet fruits raita. If you don’t want any vegetable, then add boondi to make boondi raita. This is one versatile side dish and It’s one best side dish that always completes our menu.
Raita is always a compulsory kind of dish for me. Let it be lunch or dinner, raita makes my meal complete. I do try to make variety raita. I even like coriander raita. If you are feeling very lazy to make anything then just add salt and dry roasted cumin seeds. This plain raita is also perfect. I love to add hing to my raita always for that extra something which enhance the flavour of it without any vegetable or fruits.
How to make Bathua Raita?
Let’s coming back to bathua raita, this is my winter special raita. Since bathua is available only during winter season, I try to make this almost daily.
The best thing about making raita is, they are very easy to make and takes less than 5 minutes to make. Follow the steps below to make this raita.
1: So the first thing to do is clean and wash them thoroughly for 3 – 5 times.
2. Boil it for 3 – 4 minutes in a pot or pressure cook for 1 whistle.
3. Remove from hot water and wash it in cold water and squeeze out lightly.
4. Transfer the content to a blending jar. Add 2 cloves of garlic and green chilli (optional)
5. Blend it to puree.
6. Add hung curd or thick curd and whisk for 5 seconds.
7. Bathua Raita is ready
8. Season it with salt, dry roasted cumin seed (crushed roughly). Use black salt
Well to make butter milk or chaas, add 1 cup water. Adjust salt and cumin seeds.
Bathua Raita Recipe
- 1 bunch Bathua leaves
- 1 cup Hung Curd/ Thick Curd
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Rock salt
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida (hing)
- Clean and wash leaves thoroughly.
- Boil them for 3 minutes till they are soft.
- Strain out with help of a strainer or colander.
- Transfer to a blender. Add garlic and green chilli.
- blend to a paste or just use a mortal and pastel and make coarse paste.
- Add curd and whisk once.
- Heat a tawa or pan, dry roast cumin seeds, hing, rock salt till cumin seeds are fragrant and crackled.
- Remove from heat and crush it roughly.
- Season prepared raita with this coarse crushed cumin seeds powder mix. Mix well.
- To make chaas or butter milk add 1 cup water and mix well. Adjust seasoning.
Pin it for Later